After receiving a 25th Anniversary digital release in 2021, Robert Longo‘s cyberpunk classic Johnny Mnemonic is getting a Limited Edition Blu-ray release.
In April, 101 Films will release the film as title 025 on their 101 Films Black Label, released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK.
A young Keanu Reeves stars in the titular role, a role that paved the way for his lead role in the Matrix series. Adapted for the screen by visionary writer William Gibson from his own short story.
Alongside Reeves the cast included Dolph Lundgren, Udo Kier, Henry Rollins, Takeshi Kitano and Ice-T . Along with Dina Meyer, Barbara Sukowa, and Tracy Tweed to name a few.
This limited edition release includes special packaging and a booklet with new writing on the film, in addition to two commentaries, the Japanese cut of the film in SD, short film Tomorrow Calling, based on a short story by William Gibson, and extensive archive extras.
It’s the year 2021 and Johnny (Keanu Reeves) is a data courier with a secret: he is carrying adangerous stash of information in his mind and must race against time, money and gangsters to deliver the package and save himself. Accompanied by physically enhanced bodyguard Jane (Dina Meyer),Johnny sets out to acquire the passwords he needs to save himself. Worse yet, he is hunted by gangster Shinji (Denis Akiyama) and businessman Takahashi (Takeshi), both of whom seek the data Johnny possesses.
Brand New Extras:
• Audio commentary by film critic Rich Johnson
• Limited Edition Booklet: Features ‘Future Proof: A Cyberpunk 101’ by Rich Johnson and ‘The Semiotic Ghosts of
William Gibson’ by Brian J. Robb
• Limited Edition packaging with new artwork by Lucas Peverill
• Set of art cards – reproductions of Spanish lobby cards
• Tomorrow Calling (1993), a short film adaptation of William Gibson’s short story The Gernsback Continuum
• Commentary with director Robert Longo
• Japanese Director’s cut (SD)
• Behind the Scenes
• Interviews from the shoot
• Music video