Justin Kurzel has established himself as a uniquely talented filmmaker. The Australian director has delivered a number of films that portray the dark side of his country. As we wait for his next film Nitram, 101 Films want to take us back to where it all started.
Title 024 on the 101 Films Black Label will be Snowtown (aka The Snowtown Murders), Kurzel’s uncompromising debut feature from 2011. The winner of multiple Australian Academy (AACTA) awards, including best director for Justin Kurzel and best actor for Daniel Henshall, this harrowing crime drama is based on true events surrounding a series of murders committed throughout the 1990s in the outskirts of Adelaide, Australia.
This limited edition version features ‘rigid box’ packaging with newly-commissioned artwork from Thomas Walker, brand new interviews with director Justin Kurzel and actor Lucas Pittaway, a new commentary from Australian film critics Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson and a booklet with new writing on the film.
Synopsis: When 16 year-old Jamie (Lucas Pittaway) is introduced to a charismatic man, a friendship begins. As the relationship grows so do Jamie’s suspicions, until he finds his world threatened by both his loyalty for, and fear of his newfound father figure, John Bunting (Daniel Henshall): Australia’s most notorious serial killer.
Brand New Extras:
• The Boy from Gawler: An interview with director Justin Kurzel
• In At the Deep End: An Interview with actor Lucas Pittaway
• Commentary with film critics Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
• Limited Edition Booklet: Features ‘Violence in the Suburbs’ by Thomas Caldwell and ‘Raw Horror:
Social Realism in Snowtown’ by Martyn Conterio
• Limited Edition rigid box packaging with new artwork by Thomas Walker
• Commentary with director Justin Kurzel
• Deleted scenes with commentary
• Original casting footage and EPK interviews
• The Snowtown Crimes
• Theatrical trailer