2022 is going to be an intriguing year for genre fans 101 Films is bringing the American Genre Film Archive (AGFA) to the UK. This ongoing partnership will see a steady slate of some of the weirdest and wildest films ever committed to celluloid released on Blu-ray and across digital platforms for the first time on this side of the Atlantic.
The first releases in the range will be the sleazy and terrifying Effects (1980) and exploitation legend Renee Harmon’s Lady Street Fighter (1981), both releasing on January 2022 on Blu-ray and digital. Each film benefits from a recent 2K or 4K scan from original source materials and extensive extras, while the first run of each title will come with a Limited Edition ‘O-ring’ sleeve
Cobbled together with loose change by George Romero’s friends, EFFECTS (1980) is a mesmerizing D.I.Y. frightmare that no one talks about, but everyone should. A group of coked-up filmmakers — including Tom “DAWN OF THE DEAD” Savini, Joe “DAY OF THE DEAD” Pilato, and John “TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE MOVIE” Harrison — gather in Pittsburgh to make a slasher. As filming begins and “accidents” happen, it’s clear that something isn’t right. EFFECTS is a meta-enhanced takedown on the philosophy of horror that doubles as a sleazy and terrifying movie on its own.
• 4K scan from the only 35mm theatrical print in existence!
• Archival commentary track with John Harrison, Dusty Nelson, and Pasquale Buba
• UBU short film
• BEASTIE short film
• Liner notes by Joseph A. Ziemba of AGFA and Bleeding Skull!
• AFTER EFFECTS documentary with optional commentary track
LADY STREET FIGHTER (1981)
She makes the bad guys bleed! Written and produced by exploitation demigod Renee Harmon (FROZEN SCREAM) and directed by the legendary James Bryan (DON’T GO IN THE WOODS), this is the story of Linda (Harmon), a tough-as-nails karate cop on the trail of the ruthless scumbags who murdered her twin sister! From the outrageous fight scenes to Harmon’s incredible outfits, LADY STREET FIGHTER (1981) is a joyous blast of no-holds-barred chaos from one of the most important lady filmmakers in genre history. Don’t miss the special appearance by Trace Carradine, the most elusive Carradine brother of all!
• 2K scan from the only surviving 35mm theatrical print!
• Commentary track with director James Bryan and the AGFA team
• Street fightin’ trailers from the AGFA vaults
• Bonus movie: REVENGE OF LADY STREET FIGHTER, the unreleased sequel to LADY STREET
FIGHTER, scanned in 2K from the original 35mm camera negative
• Liner notes by Annie Choi of Bleeding Skull
101 Films will release Effects and Lady Street Fighter from 10th January 2022 on Blu-ray and digital.