Wonder Woman 1984 is the biggest film of 2021 so far, Official Charts Company data has revealed.
The film tops out the year-to-date chart, which lays out the Top 40 biggest films in the UK across disc and digital sales of the first six months of 2021.
Wonder Woman 1984 has racked up 216,000 sales over the first six months of the year, with 67% of its total made up of physical copies across DVD, Blu-ray and 4k UHD, and the other 33% on digital download. The DC films production starring Gal Gadot spent six consecutive weeks at Number 1 on the Official Film Chart, and 18 weeks in the Top 10.
Zack Snyder’s Justice League lands at Number 2, though it’s closely followed by Godzilla vs. Kong at 3, with just 1,600 sales between the two films which have each spent several weeks each at Number 1 on the Official Film Chart.
Other brand-new releases for 2021 include Roald Dahl’s The Witches (7), Bill & Ted Face The Music (9), Raya & The Last Dragon (15) and The Secret Garden (17).
The biggest film not released this year is Spider-Man: Far From Home, which lands at Number 4, and Tenet is at Number 5. Still one of the UK’s most successful films more than three years post-release, The Greatest Showman comfortably lands a placing in the year-to-date Top 10 at Number 6.
While animated films such as Trolls World Tour (14), Sing (20), Soul (24) and SCOOB! (25) are among the most popular of the last six months, several features where real life and animation collide are also performing well in 2021, with Tom & Jerry: The Movie at Number 13, Sonic The Hedgehog speeding in at 16, Peter Rabbit hopping to Number 27 and Pokemon: Detective Pikachu landing at Number 37.
Meanwhile on this week’s chart, Martial arts fantasy Mortal Kombat claims a second week at Number 1 on the Official Film Chart.
Outselling the competition on physical formats and performing strongly on digital, the film comfortably holds onto its lead from last week while Godzilla vs. Kong stands strong at Number 2.
Meanwhile the cinematic release of sequels sends two films upwards: 1996’s Space Jam climbs to a new peak at Number 3 thanks to the cinematic release of its long-awaited sequel Space Jam: A New Legacy – this week’s biggest title on digital downloads – while The Croods also sees an uplift following the launch of The Croods: A New Age, rising two places to Number 4.
Zack Snyder’s Justice League drops to Number 5, and Raya And The Last Dragon rebounds three to Number 6.
Promising Young Woman makes its Official Film Chart debut at Number 7 on digital downloads only. Starring Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman sees Cassandra, traumatised by events from her past and dressed to kill, seeking revenge on those who wronged her and her loved ones.
Tom & Jerry: The Movie drops three to Number 8 landing just ahead of 2000 Guy Ritchie crime-comedy, Snatch. Counting Jason Statham and Brad Pitt among its headline stars, Snatch lands in the Official Film Chart for the very first time at Number 9 following the release of a 20th Anniversary 4k re-release.
Finally, Academy Award-winning Nomadland drops three places to Number 10.
This week’s Official Film Chart online show features a sneak peek at the animated adventure, Maya The Bee: The Golden Orb which is available to Download & Keep from 26th July.
Now, as well as OfficialCharts.com, the Official Film Chart can also be found on FindAnyFilm.com – the ultimate site for Film and TV fans to discover all the legal ways to buy the entertainment they want on disc and digital formats. Make sure to keep an eye out for all of these great titles over the next few months.
The Official Film Chart is unveiled each Wednesday and is the subject of a Top 10 Official Film Chart online show, published on OfficialCharts.com and available for media syndication.
The chart – the result of a partnership between the Official Charts Company, the British Association for Screen Entertainment and incorporating data from retailer members of the Entertainment Retailers Association – is published on OfficialCharts.com every Wednesday at noon and counts movie downloads from services including Amazon, iTunes, Sky Store, Virgin Media Store, Rakuten TV, Talk Talk TV, as well as 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD disc sales from all high street and online retailers
You can buy any of the titles featured in the Top 10 via https://www.findanyfilm.com/VideoChart. Check out the full Top 40 chart can be viewed on OfficialCharts.com
You may also like
Wishes Come True For Puss In Boots: The Last Wish on Official Film Chart
Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical Makes It 4 weeks Top Official Film Chart
Matilda The Musical Makes It 3 In A Row Top Of Official Film CHart
Roald Dahl’s Matilda Still Dancing At Number 1 On Official Film Chart
Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical makes a huge debut on the Official Film Chart