Earlier this month we learned Studiocanal was set to release the 4K restoration of Ousmane Sembène’s trailblazing Senegalese classic Mandabi. The film is set to be released for the first time in the UK and today they have released a newly created official trailer to promote the release.
Ousmane Sembène may not be a name that will be familiar to many cinephiles, he is considered the ‘father of African cinema’. For fans of world cinema old and new, Mandabi looks a perfect entry film into African cinema.
One day, Ibrahima Dieng (Makhouredia Gueye) receives a letter containing a money order from his nephew, a street sweeper in Paris. Ibrahima, without work in Dakar, and with a large family to support can only keep 2,000 CFA francs; a portion must be kept aside for his nephew and the rest to be given to his sister. But the news spreads fast in his neighbourhood … his wives, his neighbours and family see in this promise of money their escape. Ibrahima must then face a nightmarish foray into the corrupt and absurd world of Senegalese bureaucracy, which eventually leaves him even more miserable than he was before.
- Shooting Mandabi – Silent Footage from British Pathé
- Audio Commentary with Sembène! (2015) Filmmakers Samba Gadjigo and Jason Silverman
- Interview with Alain Sembène
- Interview with African film Curator and Consultant Keith Shiri
- Discussion with Sembène Specialist and Author David Murphy
- Conversation in Dakar with Author Boubacar Boris Diop and Sociologist Marie-Angélique Savané
- Theatrical trailer
- 20-page booklet with brand-new essay from celebrated Sembène writer David Murphy
Vintage World Cinema release Mandabi will be available to pre-order here
Mandabi (The Money Order) will get an limited cinema release on 11th June before it’s released on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital in 28th June 2021