Third Window Films continue their trend of unearthing some fantastic gems from Asian cinema, new and old. In November they release one of the unreleased older gems with Shinya Tsukamoto‘s Gemini.
Adapting the Edogawa Rampo short story ‘The Twins’, Shinya Tsukamoto‘s (Tetsuo, Tokyo Fist) modernist Meiji horror represents the director’s first foray into period films and fleshes out Rampo’s original tale of savage sibling rivalry considerably.
Check out the film’s original Japanese Trailer…
Yukio (Masahiro Motoki) is living a charmed life: he is a respected young doctor with a successful practice and a beautiful wife. His only problem is that his wife is suffering from amnesia, and her past is unknown. Things begin to fall apart, however, when both his parents die suddenly, killed by a mysterious stranger with Yukio’s face. Only when Yukio confronts this stranger will the mystery of his identity, and his wife’s past, be revealed.
- New HD transfer
- Audio commentary by Tom Mes, author of Iron Man: The Cinema of Shinya Tsukamoto
- Making of Gemini” featurette directed by Takashi Miike
- Behind the Scenes
- Make-up demonstration featurette
- Venice Film Festival featurette
- Original Trailer
- First 1000 units come with slipcase featuring new artwork illustrated by Ian McEwan
- Region B
Gemini out on Blu-ray and various digital platforms 2nd November 2020.