Seminal classic and one of the first Australian New Wave films, Walkabout, from legendary director Nicolas Roeg (The Man Who Fell to Earth, Don’t Look Now) is getting a new limited edition Blu-ray release.
The classic film is a coming-of-age story of survival and transcending cultural differences starring laudedactor Jenny Agutter (Call the Midwife, The Railway Children) and the director’s son Luc Roeg.
Although it received mixed reviews on its Cannes premiere in 1971, the film has gone on to become an internationally renowned, cult favourite loved by audiences and critics alike, and now Second Sight Films is giving Walkabout the Limited Edition Blu-ray box set treatment.
Check out a newly created Trailer to promote the new upcoming release…
Following the suicide of their father, Mary (Agutter) and her younger brother Peter (Luc Roeg) are left stranded in the blistering heat of the vast Australian outback. Facing exhaustion and starvation, their salvation comes when they cross paths with an Aboriginal boy (David Gulpilil – The Leftovers, Cargo) on ‘walkabout’, a ritual in which he must leave his home and learn to survive off the land. He teaches them how to survive in the wilderness, but a clash of cultures leads to terrible and tragic consequences…
• Brand new 4K scan and restoration
• A new audio commentary with Luc Roeg and David Thomson
• Producing Walkabout: A new interview with Producer Si Litvinoff
• Luc’s Walkabout: A new interview with Luc Roeg
• Jenny in the Outback: a new interview with Jenny Agutter
• Remembering Roeg: a new interview with Danny Boyle
• 2011 BFI Q&A with Nicolas Roeg, Jenny Agutter and Luc Roeg
• Archive introduction by Nicolas Roeg
• English SDH subtitles for the hearing impaired
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Limited Edition Box Set of only 3,000
• Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Michael Boland