Humphrey Bogart is joined by Jennifer Jones, Gina Lollobrigida and Peter Lorre among the star-studded cast in this classic caper scripted by Truman Capote. A masterful shaggy dog story that’s part comedy and part thriller, nothing is quite what it seems in director John Huston’s wry send-up of film noir, including his own The Maltese Falcon.
On 16 March 2020 the BFI will bring Beat the Devil to Blu-ray/DVD in a Dual Format Edition with simultaneous release on BFI Player, iTunes and Amazon. Special features include two audio commentaries.
As one of a disparate group of fortune-seekers bound for Africa, hard-up Billy Dannreuther (Humphrey Bogart) faces the swindling machinations of his fellow travellers as they await passage from a picturesque port on Italy’s Amalfi coast. But with scheming aplenty, will this motley crew miss the boat completely?
· Audio commentary featuring film historians Lem Dobbs, Julie Kirgo, and Nick Redman (2018)
· Audio commentary featuring DoP Oswald Morris, script supervisor Angela Allen and director’s assistant Jeanie Sims (2007)
· Alexander Cockburn on Beat the Devil (2012, 22 mins): the writer talks about his father, Claud Cockburn, from whose novel the film was adapted from
· By the Fireside (1945, 2 mins): an advertisement for Maypole Tea emphasising the quintessential Englishness of the afternoon tea ritual
· Atomic Achievement (1956, 19 mins): a public information film celebrating the advances of nuclear power in the UK
· Stills gallery
***FIRST PRESSING ONLY*** Fully illustrated booklet with essays by Peter Tonguette and Alexander Cockburn; notes on the special features and full film credits
Blu-ray/DVD release on 16 March 2020 with simultaneous release on BFI Player, iTunes and AmazonPowered by Sidelines