Based on Isaac Bashevis Singer‘s play, Yentl was directed, produced, co-written by, and stars, the legendary Barbra Streisand as a girl living in eastern Europe in 1904. Despite the customs of her community forbidding it, her father secretly instructs her in the Talmud and after his death, Yentl decides to masquerade as a boy in order to enter a Jewish religious school in her pursuit of knowledge.
As part of the UK-wide season BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen, on 18 November the BFI will bring Yentl to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, presented in a 2-disc set (1 x Blu-ray & 1 x DVD) with a range of special features.
Also starring Mandy Patinkin (The Princess Bride) and Amy Irving (Traffic), with an Oscar®-winning* score, Yentl saw Barbra Streisand become the first female winner** for Best Director at the Golden Globes®. *1983 (56th) MUSIC (Original Song Score or Adaptation Score) – Song Score by Michel Legrand, Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman **1984 Best Director – Motion Picture
BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen celebrates the joyful, emotional, shared experience of watching film musicals; with the biggest stars, the most iconic scenes and the best-loved song and dance numbers back on the big screen. Running until January 2020, it incorporates a season at BFI Southbank, BFI UK-wide re-releases of classic musicals, hundreds of screenings and events at venues across the UK, DVD/Blu-ray releases and films to watch on BFI Player.
· Includes both the Theatrical Version and Ms. Streisand’s Extended Cut of the film
· Audio commentary with Barbra Streisand and co-producer Rusty Lemorande
· Two introductions by Barbra Streisand (5 mins)
· Deleted Scenes (17 mins)
· The Director’s Reel (7 mins): Barbra Streisand demonstrates her approach as both an actor and director
· The Rehearsal Process (29 mins): during pre-production Streisand enlisted the help of family, friends and colleagues to act out key scenes. These clips were then used as valuable points of reference when it came to filming in Europe
· Deleted Songs & Storyboard Sequences (7 mins): two songs that were cut from the final film, presented here with their storyboards
· Barbra’s 8mm Concept Film (9 mins): footage assembled by Ms. Streisand to help crystalise her vision for Yentl and help find finance for its production
· My Wonderful Cast and Crew (7 mins): a montage of behind-the-scenes footage of the production team
· Image gallery
· Illustrated booklet (***first pressing only***) containing essays by So Mayer, the BFI’s Heather Osborn, and Dr Nicholas Pillai, notes on the extras, cast and credits
NB. The extras are split across two discs; the second disc is DVD.
USA / 1983 / colour / 133 mins + 137 mins / PG / English, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 1.66:1