Disney’s The Lion King, the worldwide phenomenon that brought the Pride Lands’ iconic characters to life in a whole new way, arrives on Digital in HD and 4K Ultra HD™ Nov. 11 and physically on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD Nov. 18. Directed by Jon Favreau, the summer blockbuster, which reigned supreme with audiences worldwide — earning over $1 billion at the global box office — journeys home with all-new bonus features, music videos and exclusive extras.
In-home audiences will feel the love as they trek behind the scenes and to the African savanna through “The Journey to The Lion King,’” a three-part documentary that explores the film’s creation. It features visits to the Playa Vista production facility where talent, including Donald Glover (voice of Simba) honour and elevate the animated classic’s iconic music; discussions with Favreau and team who used cutting-edge technology to create photorealistic animals and environments; and filmmaker and cast reflections on the timeless tale that has moved generations.
Consumers who pre-purchase digitally, The Lion King will gain access to “Perfecting the Pride,” a feature highlighting the filmmakers’ research trip to Africa.
The digital version includes an extra that playfully conveys the importance of the dung beetle both in the film and the African savanna.
In The Lion King, pioneering filmmaking techniques bring treasured characters to life in a whole new way. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother — and former heir to the throne — has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.
The all-star cast includes Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon.
The Lion King will be packaged and released in several different formats, ensuring each member of your family can view the film on a variety of different devices with no worries. Viewers can watch the film in Digital 4K Ultra HD, HD and SD, and bring home a physical copy of the film which will be released as 4k Ultra HD, 3D Blu-ray, 2D Blu-ray and a single DVD.
Related: Film Review – The Lion King (2019)
Bonus features include*:
- Perfecting the Pride – Join the filmmakers on their research trip to Africa as they immerse themselves in the real world of The Lion King. From the animals in the pride, to the smallest of insects and the grasslands in the savanna, experience the attention to detail that brought the film to life.
- Pride Lands Pedia – Dung beetle shares the importance of his “roll” in the African Savanna in a fun, bug’s eye view of the land its inhabitants.
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL BONUS:
- The Journey to The Lion King –
- The Music – Go inside the studio with the cast and crew as they work to honour and elevate The Lion King’s beloved music.
- The Magic – Discover how the filmmakers blended the traditional filmmaking techniques with virtual reality technology to create amazing movie magic.
- The Timeless Tale – Filmmakers and cast reflect on the story that has moved generations and share how this Lion King carries a proud legacy forward.
- More to Be Scene – Recording studio and layer-by-layer progressions of some of most iconic moments in The Lion King.
- “Circle of Life” – Peel back the layers of effects and go behind the scenes of this iconic musical moment from the film
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – See all the effects, talent and fun that went into creating this vibrant version of “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” for the movie
- “Hakuna Matata” – Join Donald Glover (Simba), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon) in the studio for the making of this memorable scene.
- Music Videos
- “Never Too Late” (lyric video) by Elton John
- “Spirit” performed by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
- Filmmaker Introduction
- Audio Commentary – By Director Jon Favreau.
- Song Selection
- “Circle of Life”
- “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”
- “Be Prepared”
- “Hakuna Matata”
- “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
- “Never Too Late”
- “Can You Feel The Love Tonight”
- Protect the Pride –Director Jon Favreau, the Lion Recovery Fund and conservationists highlight efforts to protect the majestic lions and their home.