Carol Reed’s last film for Alexander Korda and his first in colour is a wonderfully whimsical tale of a young boy, Joe, who buys a small goat in the belief that it’s a magical unicorn that will grant him and his friends’ wishes. Meanwhile, romance blooms between beautiful Sonia (Diana Dors) and her bodybuilder boyfriend Sam (Joe Robinson), who has the misfortune to get mixed up with crooked wrestling promoter Blackie Isaacs (Lou Jacobi).
Colourfully set amidst the bustling Anglo-Jewish environs of Petticoat Lane Market in the post-war years, with luscious location shooting in London’s East End, this sweetly sentimental family drama (the screenplay was by Wolf Mankowitz from his book A Kid for Two Farthings) is also a charming period piece, poignantly reflecting a long-vanished metropolis.
Extras include a variety of archive films, including films on two London markets and about wrestling and boxing, a new interview with actress Vera Day and an interview with actor Joe Robinson recorded at BFI Southbank in 2006.
· Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
· Sales Pitches: London Street Markets in Archive Film: four archive films of Petticoat Lane and London Bridge market
· London After the War: the post-war period is evoked in archive films celebrating the city and its people
· On the Ropes: a strenuous selection of archive films about wrestling and boxing
· All in a Day’s Work: actress Vera Day recalls A Kid for Two Farthings and her 1950s film career in a new interview
· Interview with Joe Robinson (2006, 17 mins, audio only): the actor recalls A Kid for Two Farthings in this archive interview recorded live on stage at BFI Southbank
· Image gallery
· ***FIRST PRESSING ONLY*** Illustrated booklet with new writing by Matthew Coniam and Dr Josephine Botting. Also includes extensive notes on the included archive films by the BFI’s Vic Pratt and Ben Stoddar
UK / 1955 / colour / 96 mins / English language with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.37:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit) / DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/16-bit)
A Kid For Two Farthings will be released in a Dual Format Edition (DVD/Blu-ray) and on iTunes on 19 August 2019.
.Powered by Sidelines