Rainer Werner Fassbinder‘s dystopian sci-fi epic World on a Wire was way ahead of its time, with fascinating themes that would later be explored in films such as The Matrix. Now this hugely influential classic arrives as a stunningly restored Limited Edition Blu-ray Box Set from Second Sight.
Originally created for TV by the radical and often controversial filmmaker, it centres around Simulacron 1, a highly advanced project designed to elevate conventional computer technology to a new level by creating a virtual reality, inhabited by computer generated people or ‘identity units’. When the head of the project dies mysteriously, Dr Stiller becomes his successor. As the new doctor begins to probe deeper, the line between the real and virtual worlds become increasingly blurred and his own existence comes into question.
Fassbinder’s science fiction masterpiece has a rare and well-deserved 100% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes and explores themes as relevant as ever, to our swiftly technologically advancing world.
The World on a Wire Limited Edition Blu-ray arrives on 18 February 2019, in rigid slipcase packaging, and a 50-page perfect-bound booklet, alongside with a host of outstanding new special features.
This new restoration, supervised by The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation and cinematographer Michael Ballhaus (Goodfellas, The Departed), comes 45 years after its initial release and still pushes audiences to question the world around them.
– No Strings Attached – an interview with assistant director Renate Leiffer
– Observing Fassbinder – a tribute to photographer Peter Gauhe
– Looking Ahead to Today documentary
– On-set featurette
– Original Broadcast Recap
– The Simulation Argument – an interview with Professor Nick Bostrom
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
– Rigid slipcase packaging
– 50-page perfect-bound booklet featuring new essays by Anton Bitel and Daniel Bird, archival writing by Daniel Oberhaus and Christian Braad Thomsen, stills and rare on-set photos by Peter Gauhe