Eureka Entertainment to release THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, Billy Wilder’s criminally underrated adventure-comedy, as part of The Masters of Cinemas Series on Blu-ray on 22 January 2018.
Considered by many Holmesians to be the best Sherlock Holmes movie ever made, Billy Wilder’s The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes is both an affectionate parody, and a brilliant, melancholy celebration of Arthur Conan Doyle’s infamous detective.
Sherlock Holmes (Robert Stephens) and Dr. Watson (Colin Blakely), are tasked with locating the missing husband of a mysterious woman fished out of the River Thames. The course of their investigation leads them to Scotland and encounters with a group of monks, some dwarfs and even the Loch Ness Monster. Can Holmes and Watson crack the case?
Co-written by Wilder and I. A. L. Diamond (one of eleven screenplays they wrote together) and starring the late great Christopher Lee as Sherlock’s brother Mycroft, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes is one of the most underrated films in Billy Wilder’s filmography, and The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film for Blu-ray for the first time in the UK.
A newly restored Trailer has been released, check it out…
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Glorious 1080p presentation
• Uncompressed PCM soundtrack (on the Blu-ray)
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• A new video interview with film scholar Neil Sinyard
• The Missing Cases (50 mins): A presentation of the films deleted sequences, using script excerpts, production stills and surviving film footage. Includes the film’s Original Prologue, The Curious Case of the Upside Down Room, The Adventure of the Dumbfounded Detective and The Dreadful Business of the Naked Honeymooners
• Deleted Epilogue Scene (audio only)
• Christopher Lee: Mr. Holmes, Mr. Wilder – an archival interview with Christopher Lee about his experience working with Billy Wilder
• Interview with editor Ernest Walter
• Original theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A collectors booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp; the words of Billy Wilder; and rare archival imagery
The Private Lives Of Sherlock Holmes will be released by Eureka Entertainment on Blu-ray on 22 January 2018.Powered by Sidelines