Eureka Entertainment to release BORN FREE, James Hill’s adaptation of Joy Adamson’s best-selling book starring Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers, on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK in a special Dual-format edition on 8 May 2017.
This wondrous true adventure from the best-selling novel about a woman who raised a lioness and eventually set her free is beautifully photographed on the vast, golden savannas of central Africa.
When game warden George Adamson (Bill Travers) is forced to kill a menacing lion and lioness, he and his wife Joy (Virginia McKenna) adopt their three cubs. Two are sent off to zoos, but the third is kept – a female they name Elsa – to which they have become particularly attached. When Elsa becomes a full grown lioness, the Adamsons realise that she must be set free and taught to survive on her own. A year later the Adamsons return to the savanna and are surprised by a very special welcome from their old friend.
Highly acclaimed for its cinematography and music, Born Free is a story of courage and love, nature, and a relationship unlike any other ever filmed. Eureka Entertainment is proud to present the film on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, in a special Dual-Format edition.
“Born Free gives us a deep deep myth – and it’s a very encouraging myth – that we are at one with nature. Death and destruction and pain and agony are not part of that myth. They happen to be part of the natural world”
– David Attenborough
Watch the newly cut trailer courtesy of Eureka Entertainment…
DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES including:
• Stunning High-Definition presentation
• Uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Isolated score track
• Audio Commentary with Film Historians Jon Burlingame, Julie Kirgo, and Nick Redman
• Spirit of Elsa – a featurette on the Born Free Foundations work in Kenya
• Elsa the Lioness 60th Anniversary – a short featurette about Elsa, the lioness whose story is the basis for Born Free
• Promotional featurette, generously provided by the Born Free Foundation
• Original Theatrical Trailers
Born Free will be released on Dual Format (DVD & Blu-ray) on 8th May. We hope to review it here at The Peoples Movies or our sister site Cinehouse. Pre-order/Buy:Born Free (1966) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)