Now be honest did you see this one coming? Hell no! Disney has announced they have purchased George Lucas’ LucasFilm for $4.05 billion and like it or not this deal has earmarked another adventure in world far far away, yes Star Wars Episode 7!
He always said Star Wars will live beyond him and now George Lucas is passing in the legacy to a new generation of film makers and the reaction not just with Sci-Fans as well as Star Wars fans but film fans worldwide has been of shock but with excitement. The big news is that a new series of Star Wars films is coming with episode 7 coming 2015 and now Lucasfilm is under wing of Magic Kingdom it will solidify the company as the leading force world wide in film entertainment.
After chairman and chief executive of Walt Disney Bob Iger signed the deal with George Lucas, Lucas had this to say:
“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see ‘Star Wars’ passed from one generation to the next. It’s now time for me to pass ‘Star Wars’ on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that ‘Star Wars’ could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, ‘Star Wars’ will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”
With Lucas out the limelight Steven Spielberg is now co-chairperson with Kathleen Kennedy and Disney pulling the purse strings, if they do what they did for Marvel Entertainment these new confirmed Star Wars films be them prequels, sequels this actually might be good for the fanchise.As for exact details on what the films will be about or set in we don’t have these details but expect a film every 2-3 years, things are in it’s infancy and still odd ends to be sorted out and we’ll get more news as the weeks progress.
UPDATE – We’re getting dribs and drabs about Lucasfilms as well as Star Wars franchise but since this post was written a conferencpress call, a video and tidbits have been released…..
- Star Wars: Episode 7 will be the beginning of a new trilogy that has been mapped out.
- The treatment for Episode 7 is already completed, on which Lucas consulted.
- Episodes 8 and 9 will be released approximately every other year following 2015, so expect the sequels in 2017 and 2019.
- 20th Century Fox will not be involved with these future releases.
- Disney “really likes” the potential of expanding Star Wars into television on their Disney XD channel, so expect more than a few new animated series.
- The studio’s concentration is on the Star Wars franchise, so as of now there are no plans to toy with Indiana Jones. The reason being that those films are tied up in some legal shambles with Paramount, who distributed the films. Indiana Jones was not part of the valuation of Lucasfilm when Disney was eyeing the acquisition.
- Disney plans to leave Lucasfilm’s visual effects company Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) “as it is.”