He is regarded as one of films greatest directors , Alfred Hitchcock the ‘Master Of Suspense’ has delivered some of cinemas iconic films Psycho, Birds, The Lady Vanishes,Vertigo, North By Northwest but few people know of his earlier work. Pre 1939 Not many people know about his silent films but thanks to BFI and there summer of Hitchcock Retrospective season cinephiles around UK can enjoy these classic films.
This Saturday July 21st The Lodger:Story of The London Fog will be released on the big screen (as well been screened various regional UK cinemas. The film will be accompanied by a new score by acclaimed, multi-award winning musician and composer Nitin Sawhney with the London Symphony Orchestra and courtesy of Network Releasing We have 2 copies of the superb soundtrack to giveaway.
Alfred Hitchcock’s first thriller, “The Lodger: The Story of the London Fog” was made in 1926 and written by Eliot Stannard. It stars matinee heartthrob Ivor Novello as a mysterious lodger suspected of being the serial killer known as the Avenger, who has a taste for young blondes. He rents a room at the Brownings’, whose daughter happens to be dating the detective investigating the murders. Made for the then newly created Gainsborough Studios THE LODGER was heavily influenced by the German expressionist movement and films such as “The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari” and “Nosferatu”. Such inspiration can be seen in Hitchcock’s stylized angular shots and heavy use of light and show, which are designed to reflect the mental states of the characters. THE LODGER has been digitally restored from the existing negatives and is set for theatrical release on 10th August 2012, followed by the Blu-ray and DVD in September 2012.
Talking about the new score Sawhney says, “I always hoped to follow in the footsteps of the great Hitchcock composer, Bernard Hermann. He has been one of my major heroes and influences since I was a kid. What I find amusing is that, since I am scoring a silent Hitchcock film from 1927, Bernard Hermann will now posthumously follow in my footsteps instead! As a long serving judge for the Ivor Novello awards I was delighted to be scoring the one Hitchcock film that features Ivor Novello himself. A film that has all the earmarks of a genius director making his first foray into the world of suspense, this is a gift to score and I am enjoying the process more than I even imagined. I can’t wait to hear the London Symphony Orchestra play it.”
The Lodger trailer01 Published via LongTail.tv
The Lodger Soundtrack will be released on July 21st and to win this soundtrack please answer the following question:
Q.Who Will Play Alfred Hitchcock in Sacha Gervasi’s Hithcock also starring Scarlett Johansson ?
Please Complete the form below Deadline:August 5th, 2012 (2359hrs) . Follow us at our Facebook Page if you haven’t done it already, double entry!
Terms and Conditions
- This prize is non-transferable.
- No cash alternatives apply.
- UK & Irish entries only
The Peoples Movies, Cinehouse and Network Releasing have the right to alter, delay or cancel this competition without any notice
- The competition is not opened to employees, family, friends of The Peoples Movies, Cinehouse,Network Releasing employees
- This competition is promoted on behalf of Network Releasing
- The Prize is to win The Lodger Soundtrack,2 winners
- To enter this competition you must send in your answer, name, address only, Deadline August 5th, 2012 (2359hrs)
- Will only accept entries sent to the correct email (win [at] thepeoplesmovies [dot] com), any other entry via any other email will be void.
- The Peoples Movies, Cinehouse takes no responsibility for delayed, lost, stolen prizes
- The competition is opened to Aged 16 and over
- Unless Stated Please Do Not Include Telephone Numbers, we don’t need them
- The winning entries will be picked at random and contacted by email
- By sending your entry for this competition you are confirming you have read and agreed to these Terms & Conditions.